Sauce or gravy?


I am not sure if I am in a region where it is called Sauce or Gravy... but I call it sauce.. This is a recipe I have used for a long time to make my own Tomato (almost a marinara) sauce. I am sure I could modify it to be either a bolognese, ragu, etc.

This is some of the best Pasta sauce I have ever had.

2 large yellow onions julienne
2 cups granulated garlic
2 bulbs fresh chopped garlic
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/3 cup Italian Seasoning
1 head fresh parsley (chopped)
1/4 cup Nosalt (NoSalt)
2 Tbsp. Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1 tsp. White Pepper (ground)
2 Tbsp Onion Powder
12 ounces Burgundy Cooking Wine
8.5 ounces balsamic vinegar
2/3 cup brown sugar (add or subtract to taste)
12x 8 ounce cans tomato paste
2 gallons of crushed tomato
1/2 gallon of water (I used purified drinking water)
8 individual packets of Truvia (1/3c of Sugar)

In a large pot; cook onions to near caramelization in olive oil then add garlic and crushed red pepper. Cook for at least another 2 minutes.

Pour mixture of wine and vinegar into the pot slowly, taking care to use this opportunity to deglaze the bottom of the pan. Add all herbs and spices, reduce by 1/3.

Add tomato product, sugar (except Stevia) and water and bring to a low simmering boil, covered, stirred frequently along sides bottom and edges for one hour. (making sure to scrape the sides and bottom is MUY IMPORTANTE!) I angled the cover and allowed it to continue to cook for another 3 hours. It is during this time you want to taste and add the Truvia or Sugar; one packet at a time, to taste.

A few things worth mentioning... you need an extra long wooden spoon for this recipe.

You also need to taste a bit; as you go. It was suggested to me that you taste with each step. You will develop a knack for telling if you need to add something else, or if it is fine as it is going.

I splashed hot pasta sauce into my eyes a few times.... it is always worth investing in a pair of safety glasses.


Comments

Popular Posts