Fresh Crema

In our house, we go through a lot of ingredients. But we also find there are certain staples we cannot be without. One of these, is sour cream, it can help reduce the heat of some dishes, leaving the flavor behind. You use it to make stroganoff, you use it for nacho dishes, tacos, baked potato, etc. And while you can get it at a reasonable price in most grocery stores: You can make it cheaper and more flavorful at home. And I thought that making this would actually be difficult, and I was so very wrong.

There have been some trials and errors making this. The first couple of times I tried, it ended up being too thin. It was more like the Crema they put on your food at Chipotle, which is good and has its place: it is not too useful in every recipe. The way to fix this was simply to let it culture longer. I have found that for my idea of perfect sour cream or Crema: you should let this sit for about 36 hours.

Crema (Homemade sour cream)

Ingredients:
8 oz Heavy Cream
2-3 TBSP Buttermilk
Salt to taste (optional)
Paper towel

Directions:
Pour heavy cream into a mason jar.
Add Buttermilk
Gently stir
Now here is the important part: You need to let this sit out and culture for a MINIMUM of 24 hours. right on the counter, not in the fridge. As said above, I find 36 hours or so to be a good point most of the time. Some people will leave it out for 48 hours.

I am deathly paranoid of getting something gross into my food though, so I cannot just let something sit out like this. so I will loosely put the paper towel on the top of the mason jar and then use the ring (without the lid) so it will allow air in and not anything that has legs.

I normally use the pint (16 oz) mason jars when I am making this, so I double the ingredients. The main thing is remembering the ratio. 2-3 TBSP of Buttermilk for every cup (8 oz.) of heavy cream.

The flavors profile is bold, and silky with what I feel is just the right amount of sour.

Comments

Popular Posts